built in the 10th year of the Kanbun era (1670
A.D.) by Rev.Mokuan (Second generation of Manpukuji
who was the disciple of Rev. Ingen, the founder of the main temple, Oubakusan-Manpukuji.
In the same year in the month of May, Aaoki Kainokami commenced the construction of the Buddhist Temple. The main temple gate, shrine,
Houjyou and dormitories of various sizes on both sides were completed by April of the following year that was the 11th year of the Kanbun era (1671 A.D.).
And on the request of Mokuan, it was founded on June 15 of the same year. In the 8th year of Enpou era (1680 A.D.),
the Buddhist scriptures were compiled by the inventor Rev Ryouou-souzu (He made, and sold the Zuikin-Taien at Shitaya Ikenohata )
and all the Buddhist scriptures from China were offered.
Also,Sou-dou was completed in the winter of the same year.
Chikugan-in was built in the 3rd year of the Tenwa era (1683 A.D.) by the main sponsor Aaoki Kainokami.
Further, Bishou-in of this temple was built by Rev.Tetsugyu,
the second generation of this temple and Jikou-in was built by Rev.Egoku-mei, the third generation of this temple.
After that, the Zuishouji (Zuishou Temple) was ravaged by fire twice.
Records indicate that the first fire occurred in the 11th year of the Kyouhou era (1726 A.D.)and the shrine,
the main temple gate, Houjyou, large dormitories on the left hand side and Bishou-in were razed to the ground.
The reconstruction of the shrine was started in the 14th year of the Kyouhou era (1729 A.D.).
Houjyou was reconstructed in the 16th year of the Kyouhou era (1731 A.D.) and the last beam was placed in the 17th year of the Kyouhou era (1732 A.D.).
Further, the founder's shrine was reconstructed in the 18th year of the Kyouhou era (1733 A.D.).
Thus, the Buddhist Temple was restored gradually. However, the second fire occurred in the 2nd year of the Enkyou era (1745 A.D.),
and very likely, the Buddhist Temple was destroyed by fire during its reconstruction, even before its restoration could be completed.
Many shrines were razed to the ground for the second time.
After the Enkyou era fire, the Daiou-houden was rebuilt in the 7th year of the Houreki era (1757 A.D.),
the Tennou-den in the 2nd year of the Meiwa era (1765 A.D.), the founder's shrine in the 5th year of the Meiwa era (1768 A.D.),
Bell tower in the 6th year of the Meiwa era (1769 A.D.), the small shrine in the 2nd year of the An'ei era (1771 A.D.),
the funeral hall and priest's living room in the 9th year of the same era (1780 A.D.), and the Zen-dou in the 1st year of the Bunka era (1804 A.D.).
In the 11th year of Bunsei era (1828 A.D.), the structure of interiors, small shrines, Buddhist scriptures,
Bell tower, main gate and back gate with a place for watchman, 8 spaced mausoleum for many lords, Chinju Hachiman shrine, etc.,
was completed, other than the Daiou-houden, the Tennou-den, Houjyou and Zen-dou. In other words, Bishou-in, Tikugan-in, Jikou-in, etc.,was completed.
Ever since the Zuishouji (Zuishou Temple) was built, a magnificent Buddhist Temple view had been formed,
just like those seen in picture collection of famous places of Edo.
This magnificent Buddhist Temple could not be preserved for long.
The severe earthquake of the 2nd year of Ansei era (1855 A.D.), followed by the heavy rains in the 3rd year of the same era (1856 A.D.) badly damaged many shrines.
Moreover, drastic reforms during the Meji restoration would have probably resulted in many shrines being lost.
According to the drawings of the grounds drawn in the 10th year of Meiji era (1877 A.D.), shrines, interiors, two mausoleums, smaller shrines,
the main gate and back gate were all that was left of the Zuishouji (Zuishou Temple) during the Meiji period. For some time, there was no restoration.
But later in the 18th year of the Meiji era (1885 A.D.), the Bell tower was reconstructed.
After the Second World War in the 42nd year of the Showa era (1967 A.D.), the interiors were reconstructed along with the construction of the new temple complex,
which is what one sees today. Moreover, in the 59th year of the Showa era (1984 A.D.),
the Daiou-houden was declared as a heritage site of Tokyo and in the 4th year of Heisei era (1992 A.D.) August,
it was declared as a national treasure, as it is known today.